Tuesday, November 5, 2019

On Writing - A Thanksgiving snippet from This Darkness is Mine

THANKSGIVING SNIPPET FROM THIS DARKNESS IS MINE


Michelle and Joe accepted Barbara’s invitation to Thanksgiving dinner. Once seated at the familiar pale table, Leon asked, “So how is work? Is it picking up?”

Michelle glanced at Joe and squirmed. “Um, well, it’s still slow, but--”

Joe clamped his hand on her shoulder and cut in. “She doesn’t have to worry. I’ll help her out until season picks up. She wanted to make it to a luxury level spa for a long time, at least that’s what she told me, and now that she made it, I’ll pitch in. Nobody has to worry about her future. We’ve got this.”

Michelle tilted her head at Joe and stroked his thigh. “I’m so grateful to you. All of you. You’re giving me a chance to stick it out with massage. All the therapists keep telling me it’s going to pick up in December.”

“When we got that massage table for you, I thought it was just going to be a hobby,” Barbara said. “I’m so proud that you stuck it out, honey. Here, have some casserole.”

“Massage is a suicide mission,” said Leon, shaking his head and clasping his hands.

“A hobby?” Michelle held the platter of green bean casserole midair and pursed her lips at Leon. She’d always believed the massage table indicated their faith in her.

Leon said, “Plus most of your own customers are only here in winter. That self-employed life you and Allen live, it’s not for me. Give me slow and steady. I won’t get rich, but I’ll be KUM-fuh-tubble. You’d be on the street if Joe wasn’t supporting you, if all of us weren’t helping you out. I hope you show him some appreciation and make him happy. But how can you? You’re not domesticated. You can’t even make up a bed.”

“Please don’t fuck things up right now, Leon.” Michelle reddened. “Joe and I are building a relationship slowly and it’s solid. I feel good about what we have.”

“Don’t talk to her like that.” Joe’s eyes flashed like launched missiles. “She’s got a lot on her plate and she’s very supportive, easy to talk to, and her career is going to take off now.”

“The food is delicious, Barbara,” said Janet, smiling.

“Thanks, Mom,” said Barbara, winking at Michelle.

“I’m not saying anything bad about my sister,” said Leon. “She is who she is, and I love her. I’ll help her. I’ve helped her all her life. Nobody can take that away from me. When I look my father in the eye in the resurrection in heaven, he’ll say ‘Well done, Leon. You took good care of your sister.’ That’s all I want.”

Michelle shook her head slowly and leaned over to whisper in Joe’s ear. “You see how dysfunctional my family is?”

He whispered back, “You say that like your family should be different from everyone else’s. It’s obvious they all love you. You just keep doing what you’re doing.”



***

2 comments:

  1. Oh Mackenzie!! This is just wonderful! I can’t wait to read the book! Leon sounds like a right prat! And his self sacrificing manner is so life like! We all know people like that, don’t we? I have complete faith in Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Dizzy for reading and sharing your impressions. I always appreciate your insights and details you notice.
      Mackenzie

      Delete

Hello and thank you for leaving your thoughts.