Sunday, July 12, 2020

On Writing - Dream Fulfillment in progress

June 3rd, I was debating myself over whether or not to pitch in PitMad the following day. Luckily, I have exceptional friends. Two called me to ask whether or not I'd pitch and when I waffled, they (screamed) cajoled me to go for it.

There was no denying their enthusiasm and they pushed into the PITCH camp. I fine tuned yet another Twitter pitch, and the following morning, I was revved up. Come to find out that Pitchwars/Pitch Madness added a new hashtag for Black authors #BVM for Black Voices Matter.

Bear in mind, I've pitched in PitMad before for the same manuscript. My pitches weren't that great, but I didn't know it at the time. I pitched my heart out to crickets. I'd pitched in DVPit (diverse voices pitch) 2019. One agent indicated interest by liking my pitch, but he passed away before signing me to his agency. I survived the rough and tumble of Pitchwars and the mentorship program and #ThisDarknessIsMine got fine tuned, structured and edited. When I pitched in January, I got interest from four agents, all of whom declined representation in the end. Rather three of whom declined representation and one of whom simply ghosted me (along with 95% of the mentees, so she's on our collective shit list).

That's the baggage I had to let go of for June 4th, and enter the contest with beginner's mind and a new well of endless hope.

I can't tell you how exciting the day was, but I'll try. With pitching contests on Twitter, the rules want retweets and comments from supporters, but LIKES are reserved for publishing professionals like literary agents, publishers and editors. They're sticklers for this, but I was advised not to be upset when non-industry-professionals like my pitches. There's an algorithmic metric for why, and I'll let it go at that.

I got dozens of likes from non-industry-professionals. I didn't sweat it.

I got hundreds of retweets.

The main takeaway is I got interest from 14 (FOURTEEN) agents and editors. I was simply over the moon, maybe even over Mars! The day's efforts were a solid golden opportunity, and I'd nearly talked myself out of putting my hat in the ring.



When it came down to the wire, two agencies offered representation. It's a writer's dream to get ONE offer. But I had two solid offers from heavy hitters to choose from and after a couple rounds of conversations, the choice was clear: Serendipity Literary. They're the largest African-American literary agency in the States and the president is a whirlwind, nonstop champion (who happens to have a pilot's license and flies planes in her leisure time).



A word about Kelly Thomas, who's representing me. She and I have a ton in common and every time she kept me in the loop about where she was in the manuscript, she always said, "I love this story and your writing is beautiful." Her passion got my attention, but when she mentioned #PublishingPaidMe, she won me over.

We're not going into negotiations willing to get lowballed. We know the score.

That's the key ingredient for a successful professional relationship. I'd always wanted a fighter to love my story and Michelle Delphinia's struggle because I knew the publishing game is a hard one, not for the faint of heart. Kelly is my champion and I believe we're going to kick some ass together!

Follow me on Twitter: @mackenzielitt13
Follow Serendipity on Twitter: @SerendipityLit


Have a magical day!
Mackenzie

10 comments:

  1. You're story has given me the added motivation to keep going. Congratulations to you. Much love and blessings for This Darkness is Mine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's AWESOME!! Thank you, blessings to you as well.
      Mackenzie

      Delete
  2. Wow! Just wow! You keep going until the brass ring is in your hands

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you April H. My pleasure and I will definitely keep going.
      Mackenzie

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed this post, Mack. I learned a lot, too. It was fun to hear more about the details of the pitch process from your perspective. Congrats on all your well deserved success and many wishes for many more good things. Love you - Joan
    https://kindness-compassion-and-coaching.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning Joan, I'm very happy to share the ups and downs, ins and outs of my journey. I'm glad you feel enriched and entertained! Thank you so much. Love you too.
    Mackenzie

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy for you!! You fully deserve it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, that's wonderful to hear. A lot of writers work really hard, so I'm very grateful the doors have opened up this far.
      Mackenzie

      Delete
  6. Congratulations. You are so inspiring. I love your story and grateful I had a chance to interview you on my podcast. I actually just uploaded it to my blog TODAY right before I got your email. Big Hugs and High Fives, Wendi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wendi! You are simply a stellar person, and I'm so grateful to you for interviewing me. The comments from viewers on your YouTube channel definitely told me it was well worth it to share my story. I want nothing more than to inspire and motivate people, and I'm witnessing it actually happen. It's so gratifying! Blessings to your and yours.
    Mackenzie

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thank you for leaving your thoughts.