Wednesday, April 17, 2019

On Writing - a favorite scene from This Darkness is Mine


Excerpt from a later chapter...

(Pairs well with music ♫♬ Second Sun by Sun City https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VllseHmQzds )


Michelle talked Joe into letting her travel with him to Atlanta. She’d never seen him so stony, so introverted as he was on the flight. Resting one hand on his thigh, she buried her nose in a book, glancing at him from time to time.

“How’s your book?” Joe asked, absently.

“I can’t concentrate on a single word.”

“Why not?”

“Because I can feel your distance right next to me. I don’t know what you’re going through or what you’re feeling, just know I’m here for you. I’m here with you.” As much as Michelle wanted to soothe his inner turmoil, she knew better than to rush him. She wasn’t altogether sure what he needed or how she’d be able to help.

“I’m sorry, I should have come alone. Some things are beyond words. This I can’t talk about.” He pinched the bridge of his nose and shook his head.

“You don’t need to apologize.” She clasped his hand. “I understand. Whenever you’re ready.” She spoke softly, unsure if he’d ever find words to express the depth of his pain.

Left with the hum of the plane’s engine to jostle with her worry, she ordered a drink from the flight attendant and nursed it for the remainder of the flight.

Outside, the Georgian heat was similar to Florida’s but a cool breeze tempered the savage humidity. They rented a car and drove to the cemetery, barely three words spoken between them. She shivered as he stared icily at the road ahead. Joe parked and they exited the car. Walking in silence, Michelle trailed a step behind, yearning to find a way to stay connected to him. She heard songbirds and for a moment wished they’d sing Amazing Grace, Silent Night, anything to soothe him.

Once they reached Dominica’s headstone, Joe froze, and the songbirds scattered into the breeze. It nearly broke her to watch him weep and convulse with sobs. She grabbed his hand, and his mourning radiated straight into her. She caught sight of clusters of white magnolias and fell in love again, but instead of butterflies, Joe’s abyss yawned open inside her. Angelic love and demonic pain thrashed a violent dance within her, threatening to tear her apart sinew by sinew. Love built up, pain clawed down. She ached to see anguish in his eyes.

With the June sun baking them, they sat at Dominica’s headstone, not touching. His sobs ebbed and he shook his head, reading the engraving on the black granite over and over.

Desperately wanting to break the spell of sadness, Michelle leaned in and whispered, “Babe, can you hear me? Tell me about her.”

A tiny light sparked in Joe’s eyes. “My Dominica? She loved to draw and play piano.”

Michelle’s intuition instructed her to be patient, so she waited for more.

“I remember her last recital like it was yesterday. She played Moonlight Sonata, beautifully, like a real master, and she was only nine years old!” A smile flashed across Joe’s face, caught up in his memories. He paused again, closing his eyes briefly. “When we get home, I’ll show you her drawings, the ones I still have.” Bitterness crept into his voice. “My ex won’t let me have more…”

Michelle shook her head and squeezed his hand. “Dominica. Stay focused on Dominica, babe.”

Joe took a deep breath and exhaled slowly. “Si si, yes. My daughter could draw trees and flowers and animals. Her favorite thing to draw was horses, and she got very good at it. I was so proud of her, but...”

Michelle waited but his silence wouldn’t break. “But what, babe?”

“But her kidneys turned against her much too soon.” He tilted his chin down, baring gritted teeth. “My little princess warrior. Ah, Dominica. She was so full of life and joy. You would have loved her,” he said, his joy reined in by fire. “Your smile reminds me of hers, lighting up a room like a sun goddess.”

“I’d love for you to show me her drawings.” Michelle squeezed his hand again and tears welled up in her eyes. “Of course I would love her. She sounds wonderful. You know, I’m glad I came with you. You shouldn’t have to do this alone.”

Nodding, he looked her in the eyes. “And...And I love you for it.”

“You sure? You tried awfully hard to talk me out of coming.” She stroked his arm.

Si mi amor, I changed my mind,” Joe said. “You changed my mind. ‘I’m going with you, motherfucker, and that’s final.’ I believe those were your exact words.” He cocked his eyebrows.

She couldn’t help but smile. “Mm-hm. You remember that, huh?”

“You.” He relaxed a little and smiled. “I’m glad you’re here, too. I don’t know if I could have handled this grief, it’s more than I can bear. Honestly, I think it could have triggered me, but…”

“But?”

“But it didn’t because you’re here with me. You are my pillar.”

“No, sweetheart, I’m your pillow.”

Yo meto las manos al fuego por ti.”

“What does that mean?” she asked.

“One day I’ll tell you,” he said and kissed her hands.

“Why can’t one day be now?”

“You are my pillow.”

Thinking that was the translation, she melted. “I can’t tell you how much that means to me. I’ll never shut you out.” Michelle thought back to wanting to tell stories of her father after he died, and no one would listen. She wouldn’t make Joe suffer like that. Her intuition to draw him out gently turned out to be exactly the right way to be present for him. She rubbed the top of his hands, their physical touch a bridge across the gaping abyss.

Joe spent the next couple hours sharing more stories of Dominica’s vitality and battle for her life until a healing process led him into a soft-edged silence. The wind rustled a few magnolia petals and maple leaves onto the headstone. Michelle gathered them together and tucked them in her purse. They left rings of flowers at her grave, and walked hand-in-hand towards the rental car.

END OF EXCERPT

MACKENZIE
leave a comment below or shoot me an email mackenzielittledalewrites at gmail dot com

17 comments:

  1. Very nice, this has some serious potental. It actually made me tear up a bit when it became clear that Domicica was his daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for reading and taking the time to leave your thoughts

      Delete
  2. It definitely left me wanting to learn more about these characters and what brought them together. I want to read more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm delighted to hear that. I've become rather attached to Michelle and Joe and love that you want to know more about them.

      Delete
  3. Hey Mack, it's DM. Love how you build the suspense, making me wonder who exactly Dominica is and why he's upset about her. You mentioned in the prompt groups about comments. You might want to check your widgets on your website. It was hard to figure out how/where to leave a comment. Had to dig for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi DM, thanks. I looked over the settings and can't see anything out of the ordinary. Anyone can post. I moderate all comments. It's a mystery and maybe I need a web pro to look it over. I'm still considering switching platforms. People tell me good things about wordpress and medium. Thanks love.

      Delete
  4. I loved this! You did a great job of building up the mystery about what was going on with Joe. And I especially loved Michelle's line "I can feel your distance right next to me."

    It all built up to an emotional climax, and just as I was wondering what happened to Dominica Joe told us.

    All in all a great read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jack, thanks so very much for taking the time to read and leave a response. I appreciate that from the bottom of my heart. That line says so much. Michelle is learning to speak up, and Joe is great for her!

      I'm tickled you enjoyed it and I hope you stick around for more right up to launch.
      Mackenzie

      Delete
  5. Hello Mackenzie, a touching piece of writing on a difficult subject. I didn't find anything distracting in the way that Joe handled his grief, nor in the way Michelle supported him. I could relate more than I might have liked, so - well done. Owen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Owen, my gratitude for taking the time to read, and for commenting, especially since it's coming from a well of personal experience. xoxox
      Mackenzie

      Delete
  6. Hi, Mackenzie.
    I saw on twitter that you requested male perspective on this piece, and I would be happy to shed what light I can in that regard. Though I'll preface by saying that I can only go on personal experience and others might have different reactions.

    Firstly I will say that it was a very well done piece. Succinct and powerful, with a very strong emotional reaction throughout.
    That is always hard, so you certainly have my admiration for that. The start in particular was strong, and both characters left a vibrant impression as hurt but wonderful people who are very good for one another. And as real people rather than 'just' story characters.

    There was one thing that felt off to me personally.
    At the gravestone, the way that Michelle gently coaxed Joe into talking was really good. However, the way that Joe responded felt too immediately open to me. Too easily vulnerable.
    In my experience, this is a very healthy way that women help each other by speaking and listening. But - for me personally and the men I know - most men would be more reserved about talking about something that hurts so much as this, at least in the start.
    This came most strongly through when she asked him to tell her about Dominica.
    To me it would feel more natural if when Michelle asks him to tell her about Dominica, instead of immediately talking about her with a spark in the eye, he would go silent, almost cold. And then, after a long moment (when she might be afraid he won't answer, but she still do not push him) he will mention something small about her (for instance the detail that she liked drawing horses), to ease himself into talking about both the painful and happy memories. And then slowly, step by step, he would work himself up to mention more important things about her and how she lit up his life.
    The 'She was so full of life and joy. You would have loved her.' line is beautiful, but it is very emotional. If I had been in Joe's position, that line would be the one I would end on as the 'final admission' of my hurt over the loss of Dominica and my gratitude and love for Michelle being there for me.

    I don't know if you find this useful, but regardless I hope the story continues to turn out wonderful for you ^^

    Kind regards,
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's amazing feedback Peter! Joe and Michelle have been together for over a year by this point, and he's from Cuba. They both have Bipolar but he takes his health more seriously than she takes hers (until recently). He goes to support groups, which is established earlier in the story, so maybe that goes into his vulnerability. I'll play with the order in which he reveals these details to see if they're more believable.

      Thanks again,
      Mackenzie

      Delete
    2. My pleasure ^^
      Ah, that sheds some more light on it and sounds like an excellent way to handle it.

      Delete
    3. I toyed with the pacing of Joe's end of the conversation and it works much better having him struggle. Thank you!

      Delete
  7. I think this is well written and deals well with a sensitive subject.

    I agree with the comments made by Peter (I think?). Men are generally slow to open up compared to women. I feel he'd be slow to start talking about his daughter and start with small things before opening up more.

    The things that mean most to us about people we lose are often tiny, silly things. Talking about Dominica's smile was a nice touch. Maybe expand on this a little and talk about what she was like when she was performing or drawing, not just that she did it and she liked it.

    Basically it's good how it is and a little gentle tweeking would make it great.

    Maybe when he mentions showing Dominica's drawing Michelle would almost his bitterness towards his ex and say how much she'd like to see the drawings as well as her comment about focusing on Domiinica.


    Reading this definitely makes me want to know more about the characters and what's going on in their lives.

    Even though I've suggested things please don't think i don't like it. It's well written and enjoyable as it is :)

    -Clackers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic suggestion, Clackers. I've toyed with the pacing of Joe's dialogue, making him struggle more and letting Michelle affirm what he says - "I'd love to see her drawings." It works so beautifully. Thank you!

      Delete
  8. Hey, it's Tiff, thank you for sharing this with me. I agree with Peter about how quickly he opened up. Though he does therapy, his cold distance make it seemed there was a great bridge to cross. I was caught by the way she insisted to go with him on this trip. Then it refreshed me. I felt before then, that she was over-identifying with his emotions and it gave her more personality of her own. Clearly the writing is good because I'm already analyzing them as real people.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thank you for leaving your thoughts.