Sunday, April 21, 2019

POETRY - Wishing Well

Wishing Well

On my way home
I stopped in the park on an impulse
For a flash, I thought I could wish for God
To hear me for once
I dropped a quarter down a well
Wishing savagely to be heard
Whether God be furious or lighthearted or amused

The whole time I prayed
My heart pounding like a timpani
A crescendo that could end in an aria
Or a fatal stroke signalling the end

The whole time I waited
Wondering how God would answer
Would I see a soaring bird?
A crash of thunder?
A delicate Monarch?

The whole time I danced
My limbs murmuring secrets
Lusty pirouettes
Encircling dreams

My coins never made a sound
As though there is no bottom to my wasting away in time



Mackenzie Littledale

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and thank you for leaving your thoughts.