Tuesday, November 13, 2018

In the end, I chose to be a light

Once upon a time in a very large city at a very prestigious firm, I started talking to this guy.  He didn't have a high ranking position, and technically neither did I.  We talked enough and took a day off work to spend together, getting to know each other in the biblical sense.

He told me he was free and clear.  No baby mama drama.  No girlfriend.

Too bad this wasn't remotely true.

He got a phone call that made him nervous and he told me bluntly, "You gotta go."

Anthony, if you're reading this, I will NEVER forget how that made me feel.

As it turns out, he did have a daughter.  Her mother and her family refused to let Anthony have any involvement in their lives.  It also turned out that he had a girlfriend, roughly his estranged daughter's age.  This young girlfriend used him for money.  I put 2 and 2 together and figured he was punishing himself with this user because he didn't have his authentic daughter in his life.  Despite his coldness, I felt sorry for him, because he was so lost.

I hired a private investigator online and within days his daughter was located.  When I put the information in his hands and he realized what it was telling him, he was speechless.  Days later, he saw his daughter and she got to meet his family.  He told me I put a light in his family.

Here's where he screwed up again though.  He was angry that I wouldn't be with him and he wanted what was "his".

HA!

Just because I choose to shine light doesn't mean I'll stay in someone else's darkness.  Whether I forgive him or not is irrelevant.  I would not let him stake claim to me.  I deserve a partner, not a project.



2 comments:

  1. "I chose to be the light", I love it! Thank you💚🙏

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are most welcome. Forgiveness sets us free, so there's no sense in wrapping ourselves back in the same chains. That's what I think.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thank you for leaving your thoughts.