Tuesday, November 13, 2018

PART TIME HALF ASSED VEGAN NOTES - A tasty little snack that was just meant to be

I've been to the local Publix grocery store just about every day this week (mainly because I keep refusing to write down a list).  On one visit, I noticed a brand spanking new vegan section for alternatives to deli meat and cheese. (Me *high pitched, eyes wide*: ah-ha! ah-ha!).  While I'm looking forward to trying the vegan meatballs, I'm a little terrified of what they mean by vegan eggs, but maybe I'll buck up and try them in the future.

Tonight back at said grocery store, I had no choice but to stop by the vegan deli section.  I think once I explain, you'll understand why.  Carr's Rosemary crackers were on sale and they must have a white cheese and hard salami in order to enjoy properly. Or do they?  That vegan section might have a tasty plant-based alternative.  See, I had no choice.

To be honest, I was in a bit of a daze.  The sliced "meat" looked like meat, but the packaging didn't say what it was replacing.  It did make suggestions to use it in a Reuben sandwich, so I was thinking it might taste like pastrami, not hard salami.  I figured if I hated it, I'd just go back and get real salami. What's one more visit to Publix?

Once home with my booty, I wasted no time in slicing the plant-based "meat" and "smoked gouda".  The "meat" by itself was perplexing.  I could taste tomato and that was fine, but you really need to create a different category to describe the flavor and texture.

But - and here it's exciting - once you pile the "meat" and "cheese" on the rosemary crackers, suddenly all the flavors and textures meld together like they were soulmates.  It was simply meant to be!


Field Roast Smoked Tomato Deli "meat" with Follow Your Heart Smoked "gouda" on Rosemary crackers
Photo: Mackenzie Littledale


The low down:

Original Field Roast Grain Meat Co. (R) Vegetarian deli slices smoked tomato flavor
with hearty tomatoes, hickory smoked infusions with red wine, old world spices and herbs
Serving size - 3 slices
Calories - 100
Calories from fat - 25
Total fat - 2.5g
Dietary fiber - 2g
Protein - 14g

Follow Your Heart (R) Smoked gouda style slices VEGAN, non-GMO, gluten free, soy free
Serving size - 1 slice
Calories - 60
Total fat - 4.5g
Protein - 0g

Photo: Mackenzie Littledale


I'm not going to analyze the crackers because even if it turns out that they're made with animal products, I will NEVER give them up.  I love CARR's rosemary crackers and that's that.

Photo: Mackenzie Littledale


However, I was still proud of my snack, so I finished it off with Soy Delicious fake ice cream in Vanilla Bean (dairy free) and crushed Oreos (still vegan).

So Delicious Dairy Free FAKE ICE CREAM Vanilla Bean and Milk's Favorite Cookie
Photo: Mackenzie Littledale


This has been a public service announcement of sorts.

Make someone else's day magical!
Mackenzie

#FakeIceCream
#FollowYourHeart
#VeganCheese
#FieldRoastGrainMeat
#VeganDeliMeat
#Publix

2 comments:

  1. All the companies you mention should give you coupons for promoting them! Seriously! You could tag them in a tweet and write, "Show me some ca-ching love, people Throw me a coupon or three!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what Dyane, you couldn't be more right!

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thank you for leaving your thoughts.