Friday, July 19, 2019

On Writing - Something new

Since writing has been tremendously therapeutic for me, I want to press on. A webinar I listened to on writing short stories said one way to use them is to experiment with new genres and to introduce my writing to an audience.

That's exciting!

I'm going to try my hand at writing a short story about Emma, a recent widow who is forced to financially support herself, but she develops a physical condition that makes her chosen profession almost impossible. However, when she's working, she's restored (in a sense) but in a most uncomfortable and ironic way.

Writing is even more important to me than therapy. It's a way to experience the world and reduce it to words. Can words do that?

Staying on top of my bipolar means finding meaningful challenges to stay engaged in the business of life. And taking my meds nightly. Can't forget that. Writing can be lonely, which makes it well suited for loners. Sort of. Loners can't just observe humanity, but interact with people, know people, love people, talk with people. Sometimes that awkwardness makes for great stories.

I have no way of knowing whether my social on/off switch is the way it is because of the bipolar, or if it's hereditary. My mom is something of a wallflower, while my father was charismatic and outgoing. I get the dubious distinction of being shy at times and being extroverted at other times. I have not yet found a way to control this. Perhaps I can write a character who can, and then learn from her.

I'm keenly interested in knowing what writing means to you. Please describe in the comments. How does it help you navigate your real life?

Mackenzie
Make someone else's day magical!

#writing
#mentalhealth
#bipolar
#arttherapy

8 comments:

  1. Nice work. I find writing poetry a good way to release stress and motivate myself to succeed and overcome hardships and the battle inside my mind. Writing takes you to a world where dreams are possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poetry is an excellent way to release stress and self-motivate! I couldn't agree more.

      Delete
  2. Nice blog Mackenzie. Writing, art, sports and the likes all can work well as a little therapy If you will. For me writing is just a way to connect with others while sharing the ramblings in my mind. It's my conversation with a world that isn't talking back but may need to hear what I said. In the end, I want to show life is magical.thanks for the tag my dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Whatever it takes, right? Once you take it step further and take ramblings and organize them into concise, clear thoughts, you'll be engaging w/ the world even more powerfully. Definitely don't give up.

      Delete
  3. It's something I have to keep telling myself - to be involved in the world and experience it when my default is to hide away like a hermit and not deal with people. I don't think you can be a great writer by being a hermit...

    Writing is definitely therapeutic for me, and it is teaching me about myself. I love your point about writing a character and learning from them! That's one of the goals, right? To dig down deep and reveal something about ourselves and others, to not feel like we're alone in those feelings - to use that to possibly teach ourselves better ways of dealing with our issues would be amazing.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rob! Yes, we can use our characters to teach ourselves. It's probably an open secret in the writing halls of fame.

      Delete
  4. Lovily post. Writing to me is perfect escapism. It is the only time I feel confident or really happy, despite my aweful spelling or any criticsm I get about my work. It still gives me great joy. I just wish I had the courage to start sooner but then I might not have had the life experience which has enabled me to write better. Maybe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No matter. You started and you found your path. That's what counts so you stick to the path you're on now. Your writing is fucking amazing!

      Delete

Hello and thank you for leaving your thoughts.