Thursday, August 23, 2018

PART TIME HALF ASSED VEGAN NOTES - Mixed Up Salad (customer) at Jason's Deli

I'd had this salad before, and was surprised to see chicken on top. It precluded my intention of a less half-assed vegan blog post.

A closer look at the menu revealed CHICKEN was the first ingredient listed.  The voice in my head said I should have my eyes checked.

Undaunted, I went back to Jason's and asked if they'd hold the chicken.  Troy told me enthusiastically, "Yes, however you want it!"  Troy made my day, that's for sure.

The proper name of the salad is "Nutty Mixed-Up Salad".

Grilled 100% antibiotic-free CHICKEN (request it to be withheld)
organic field greens
grapes
feta (not vegan, but I wouldn't be surprised if you can ask for that to be withheld as well)
cranberry-walnut mix
organic apples
Balsamic vinaigrette

Nutty Mixed Up Salad - Hold the Chicken
at Jason's Deli, Plantation
Photo: Mackenzie Littledale
Nutty Mixed Up Salad - Hold the Chicken
at Jason's Deli, Plantation
Photo: Mackenzie Littledale

This is a yummy salad with lots of textures and a nice balance of flavors

To make myself even happier, I also ordered the strawberry shortcake.  It's my day off, right?

Strawberry Shortcake
Jason's Deli Plantation
Photo: Mackenzie Littledale


Troy even offered to toss my empty peach iced tea bottles, but when I asked him if the store recycled the bottles, he said he'd make sure of it.  I would have been perfectly ok carrying them home to recycle, but Troy also told me that Jason's  Deli doesn't rely exclusively on plastic containers.  They have containers made from sugar cane, which are fully biodegradable and present the food better than plastic because they breathe.  Jason's is also family-owned, and got started in Vermont.

Several menu items can be customized to be vegan, vegetarian or gluten-free.  You can make it easy on yourself and ask for the Vegan All The Way menu at the register.

Troy beamed with joy and pride - it was just all over his face as he shared the story of the deli with me, and showed me the sugar cane containers.

Nutty mixed up salad, peach iced tea, strawberry shortcake - $15.02

Jason's Deli #184
1361 South University Drive / Plantation, Fla

#foodies
#vegan
#placestoeatPlantationFL

Make someone else's day magical!
Mackenzie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and thank you for leaving your thoughts.