Friday, September 21, 2018

International Peace Day - I really missed the sour cream and cheese

Today is International Peace Day and I saw a tweet requesting people to eat vegan so animals would have peace too.  I said ok.  I had a veggie burrito from Chipotle.  Normally, I get this with sour cream and cheese, but then I would have broken my promise.  I'm not going to lie; I missed the dairy, but the burrito was still very good without it.

Dinner, I kind of forgot my promise.  Not kind of.  I forgot.  I went grocery shopping at Trader Joe's (two weeks' worth of food for 100 bucks.  I'm tellin' ya, frozen food and fresh prepared are the way to go if you hate cooking).  Tonight's selection of ready made ravioli included PUMPKIN!!!  It's FALL!! YESSSSSSS!  That's what I heated up and tossed with Spanish olive oil and - here's where I failed on my vegan for International Peace promise - I sprinkled romano and parmesan.  By way of rationalization, I'd already had that cheese in the fridge so I caused no harm to any additional animal.

In terms of real impact, I'd been engaged in a pro vs con Twitter storm convo about Capitalism.  I'm pro-Capitalism and was promptly called a "f*cking ghoul" and a charlatan.  Here's the beauty of digital conversation:  live in person, there's a high probability that I would have flipped the f*ck out, but communication via a medium like Twitter meant I could pause, breathe, reach for my higher self and respond, rather than reflexively react.

In the end, the conversation resumed in the morning and it was defused back down to a civil discussion.  While I still feel Capitalism has no equal and is neither moral nor immoral, but depends on the capitalist, I'm open to hearing about its shortcomings and outright failings.  Maintaining my dignity online led to attracting a new Twitter follower, who turned me on to a website that I think deserves highlighting: https://www.poorpeoplescampaign.org/

I'm kicking around the idea of questioning my own stereotypical ways of thinking about poor people and poverty.  It's just too easy to dismiss them as lazy, and perhaps that's nothing more than an outright lie to throw us off the real culprits of income inequality.

This was the healthiest way I could think of to exercise my 1st Amendment rights in the interest of real peace.

Did you acknowledge International Peace Day today?  In what way?  Comments welcome.

Remember to click on the BLUE FOLLOW BUTTON on the website/desktop version.

If you'd like notification of new posts, shoot me an email mackenzielittledalewrites at blogspot dot com.

PEACE  ☮☮

Make someone else's day magical!
Mackenzie

#InternationalPeaceDay
#InternationalDayofPeace
#IHateCooking
#Foodies

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and thank you for leaving your thoughts.